Sunday, November 13, 2011

Kids Kooking: Sunrise Cupcakes

I call these sunrise cupcakes because that's what they ended up as, though really the original intent was to be orange and yellow "striped" cupcakes for Halloween. Regardless, I wanted something fun and easy that my four year old could help with (along with a friend), so I adapted an idea I saw around YouTube for "rainbow cupcakes" (just do a search, you'll find plenty) and tried to do my own thing.

Overall, I wouldn't call this a failure by any means. First of all, it's a great project for young ones. You just take box cake mix and prepare it as usual. Of course, let the kids crack the eggs because all the fun is right there! Once mixed, divide the cake batter into equal portions in ziplock bags and add some coloring. Mix around til you get the desired hue, then cut the corner off the bag and pipe colors into the muffin cups as you like.

I think the reason these cupcakes didn't work out quite perfectly is because of the use of two colors. It makes sense that the colors "round out" in the final product, and when it's a rainbow you still see multiple shades. However, using just two colors, you get the sunburst effect you see above.

They still look great, and taste delicious. Try it with your kids in whatever colors you prefer.

1 comment:

  1. You forgot to remind them to make sure the bags are tightly sealed before letting the kids get a hold of them ;)

    ReplyDelete