Saturday, October 8, 2011

Marshmallow Fondant

So I was gifted this really awesome "Zombie Cupcakes" book as a gift and while flipping through the pages I saw a "Biohazard" cupcake that looked absolutely perfect for my tech-industrial sister. The book, of course, made it look so easy.

The cupcakes were straightforward, a key lime mix that actually was more like a muffin consistency (very heavy) in the end rather than a cupcake. But this was my first foray ever into fondant and I was intimidated, to say the least.

I had talked to a friend who once dated a baker, and he suggested I use marshmallow fondant. So after a search I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and decided to give it a try.

Making the fondant was a challenge, not because it's actually tricky but because it is a sticky, sticky mess. I mean, let's think about it. Hundreds of melted marshmallow with nothing between you and them except for some powered sugar? It's a bit insane. But trust me from my lesson learned: When you feel like giving up just add and knead, add and knead. It will get there eventually.

So after all the work I got the color I wanted and some pretty tasty (surprisingly) fondant. I was patting myself on the back for this and thinking that I am a magnificent baker.

Then it came time to cut and mold.

Let me say this now and say this clearly. Do not do this without the right tools. Secondly, toothpicks and butter knives are not the right tools.

You can see my failed attempts at the biohazard sign here. I have since this time ordered Wilton's "fondant student kit" and will be going through the motions. Then we shall see who rules!

Til then, just know I found a good recipe and still have a lot to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment