Thursday, August 11, 2011

Chocolate Chip Scones

One of my favorite pastries is the scone. A little sweet, a bit dry, and totally tasty and delicious. Well I had some leftover chocolate chips lying around and I was tired of making the same old cookies so even though my favorite scone is of the blueberry variety (so traditional, I know), I decided to try an adaptation of this scone recipe I found on allrecipes.com.

Now if you've ever used Allrecipes you know the importance of reading the comments before baking. I chose this particular version because of it's high ratings and positive comments, plus I liked the touch of orange juice that was listed in the ingredients. I also altered the butter and liquid content a bit based on the comments. The dough, as you can see from the pictures, looked to me like it was perfect.

The finished scones looked pretty good, and I got some great feedback from my taste testers. However for me, the final scone was too "biscuit" tasting. When I think of scones, I typically think of something smoother in texture. I don't know if it's correct, but I like the Starbucks scone. These were more crumbly inside, which could possibly be altered just by using more liquid. More specifically, I'll probably just try a different recipe next go-round and see how they compare. But these weren't a bad experiment, and I'm happy to report all were eaten and enjoyed.

This did add a note to myself: buy coarse sugar! So many "hearty" baked items that have the faint sweet flavor need those yummilicious crystals on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment